Daily Tribune: Taal's Grand Dame Turns 75

Written by: Gabrielle Borromeo
Photos by: Gabrielle Borromeo

Published in the Daily Tribune (Life Style section) on Thursday, 04 December 2014.

Taal Vista Hotel Lobby Lounge

The first-ever hotel in Tagaytay, Taal Vista Hotel, was founded on Oct. 7, 1939. To celebrate its 75th birthday, Taal Vista invited celebrity guest chefs to helm Cafe Veranda in presenting their culinary interpretations of Filipino food, called the Culinary Gems: A Festival of Filipino Flavors Buffet.


Among the celebrity guest chefs were former MalacaƱang Executive Chef Babes Austria, celebrity couple Chef Jackie and Rolando Laudicio, restaurateur Chef Fernando Aracama, restaurateur Chef Sau del Rosario, TV personality Chef Bruce Lim and the hotel's executive Chef Edwin Santos. 
Chef Babes Austria with her Pandan Crepe
During my visit, I was given the honor to taste Chef Austria's concoctions, which were truly unique. To name a few, she specially prepared Lanzones Gelato and Atis Mousse with Sago in Glass, which was my favorite. Throughout her life, she has made a dessert out of a dragon fruit, sago caramelized in luyang dilaw, sinigwelas/atis/bayabas gelato, rabbit adobo and many more. She recently planned to make Lanzones Sinigang.


When I asked Chef Austria what inspires her to create such distinctive meals, she answered, "I know people are coming from Manila; they are not from Tagaytay. Surely they spent gasoline, time and money; therefore, it is only just that I excite them with a meal worth looking forward to. The food I prepare will not be like in Manila, but local delicacies nonetheless. Why? Well, I want to support our Filipino farmers and to buy from them is helping them, this is one of my advocacies. I also believe that we have these fruits for a reason, we must own it, invent with it and elevate it. I love elevating our cuisine everywhere I go!" 

Pandan Crepe by Chef Babes Austria
Sugba Kinapusan Tadyang ng Baboy sa Tuslobua Sauce (Barbecued Pork Ribs with Pork Brain Sauce) by Chef Babes Austria 
The milky vanilla fountain of Cafe Verdana
Chef Austria was passionate in her reply when I asked why she loves cooking. "My food is from my soul presented in a plate that goes straight to the heart of the receiver. Cooking, to me, is an excitement because it's how I communicate. Food to me is always a comfort. In fact, yesterday... when I marinated our food last night, the smell stuck to my hands-and, to me, that is a good sign — a sign that I can go to bed smiling."

Pork Slab Sinampalukan
As for inspiration, she said, "My mind is (always) moving fast, it's wild. The first thought that comes to mind is how people will enjoy my food, from there I come up with an idea, and then I execute the plan. I make both my own dishes and that of heritage dishes."

One of Chef Austria's proudest moments was when Henry Sy Sr. considered her Lumpiang Sariwa his favorite. Today she dedicates it to him.

Enjoying good food such as the ones served in the hotel is made even more memorable by the panoramic view of the famous Philippine Taal Lake and Volcano from Tall Vista Hotel, which is incomparable. 
The beautiful panoramic view of the famous Philippine Taal Lake and Volcano from Taal Vista Hotel
Taal Vista Hotel's 75th anniversary bash, organized by Celine Aranillo, reflect's the hotel's level of service. She offered the amenities of the hotel to provide comfort and relaxation one would never expect in a day trip. 
The long table at Cafe Veranda
When guests arrived, they were immediately ushered to a secluded area at Cafe Veranda where a long table was set. A bountiful buffet was at hand offering an array of choices that cater's to differing tastes. 
Food decorations at the buffet

My order of Four Seasons Shake

The Filipino-themed decorations at the buffet
Most of all, each guest was treated with extra care and sincere, heartfelt attention.


Today, the late President Manuel Quezon's dream to develop Tagaytay as a tourist destination has been made possible with the help of Taal Vista Hotel. 



Guests look forward to their stay knowing the hotel is there to back them up. They get to enjoy the cool climate, beautiful scenery and the comfort of knowing their close proximity to Metro Manila. Taal Vista Hotel has grown to have 261 fully-equipped guest rooms with modern amenities like air conditioning units, cable TV, a fully stocked mini-bar and Wi-Fi Internet access. Best of all, the premier rooms boast of balconies with breathtaking views of the majestic Taal Volcano.

This is only the beginning of many more beauties Taal Vista Hotel will offer.

Taal Vista Hotel is located along Kilometer 60, Aguinaldo Highway, Tagaytay City 4120 Philippines. For more information, call +63 (2) 917-8225, +63 (46) 413-100 or +63 0917-8091254. Visit http://www.taalvistahotel.com or follow their updates on Facebook (http://facebook.com/taalvistahotel) and Twitter (@taalvistahotel).

Comments