2019 Israel Day One!

It was my first time in the Middle East, specifically in Israel, in a unfamiliar location with no known family or friends. I was going with just me, myself and I (and my grandmother whose desire was to travel to Israel too and timely I was going so she came along).
I always believed one of my strong suits was easily adapting to basically anything thrown at me. I knew I’d manage no matter what but that didn’t mean I had no worries. However, I realized, I had no reason to worry at all. It was as if God was my tour guide. His Presence led me everywhere I went, after all, Israel is the Holy Land. Of course, He’d take care of me here. I just needed to keep trusting in Him. In the end, it eventually all made sense. 

Just today (as of writing), while I was at the Jordan River, Yardenit, where Jesus was said-to-be baptized, I talked to Jesus. I told Him it was amazing how far we’ve come. I told Him that never in a million years did I think I’d be in Israel, much more to be invited by the Israel’s Government Press Office themselves. 

None of these were in my plans, none at all. In fact, what I had planned the BER months of 2019 was to graduate from my course: Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Studies in October (which I did—-Praise God!) and then to immediately serve in Favor Church (my local church) and to commit by enrolling in the one-year leadership program called Favor Leadership College—but I guess the latter wasn’t what God had planned for me. Even if I submitted all the steps needed for enrollment, I didn’t make the cut-at least not this year they said. Of course I was shattered but acceptance was the first step to moving on, so I did.

Just in time, my mom’s friend Agnes Hilario, adviced that I should sign up for the Christian Media Summit 2019 in Israel. I was not sure if this was where God wanted me to go, but I still did what I needed to hopefully make the cut—and I made it!

The Christian Media Summit 2019, under Israel’s Government Press Office (GPO), e-mailed me that everything from accomodations to food on November 3-6, 2019 will be paid for except the flight. I just needed to get myself out there.

Coming from the Philippines, a xxx miles away from Israel, price tickets weren’t going to be cheap but thanks to graduating—this trip was my parent’s graduation gift to me. So to the young ones, finish school and make your parents proud!

I started spending everyday canvassing flight rates (thank you SkyScanner) hoping the next day would bring the price down. Finally, I found an affordable one with the best layover hours via Air India. Without second thinking, I booked it, afraid the next minute would raise the price.

When I did, I showed my well-traveled friend my flight details and he immediately laughed at me and said, “good luck!”

I raised my eyebrow, and asked “excuse me?”

He then responded, “An Indian airline and a layover at New Delhi, India. Really? You think you can handle that?”

Now, no offense to Indians, but we are what we eat. For instance, Filipinos are said to have a sour stench because of all the sour food we love to eat like Sinigang (sour fish soup). Indians, on the other hand, eat a lot of onions and spices and because of they, they exhibit a strong aroma not everyone finds pleasant.

There my eyes shot up. I realized I didn’t take much into account my itinerary and missed out that one little detail…but what’s done is done.

The fear of what was about to come, haunted me. But God knew what He was doing, He always does...because the woman He assiged to sit beside me, was Idit.

Idit, a Jew from Israel, was on the same flight as I was from New Delhi, India to Tel Aviv, Israel. She was in India because she wanted to visit her daughter who now resided in India after falling in love with an Indian man. The rest was history.

In the plane, I was seated aisle side while Idit was in the center. I noticed she kept scooting out of her seat, crossing me every single time to grab things from the plane compartment. I later wondered if I should offer her my seat so she wouldn’t have a hard time but I ended up just letting it be. Idit eventually settled down and started watching the romantic classic movie, The Notebook. My mind started wondering off again. Since Idit seemed to be in her 50’s, I realized no matter what the age, no one is too old for some romance.

An hour right before we landed in Israel, Idit started looking at the pictures on her phone, and little by little started telling me about her trip in India. Eventually, we connected and I told her all my plans in Israel. I told her I was mainly here for the 4-day Christian Media Summit 2019 but after that I was free.

Idit and I made good friends during the flight, she was very motherly and warm. I was already fond of her, but I did not expect what she said next. “If you are free, you can stay with me, anytime! I signed my house up for couch-surfing so if you are interested, please come visit me.”

Just like that, she opened her home to me, free-of-charge. She was very welcoming. How was she so nice? Was everyone like this? I smiled and nodded but I was not sure of what my schedule in Israel would look like and if I would take her offer but I definitely felt blessed to have someone, almost like family, care for me. I was starting to like Israel very much, and I haven’t even stepped foot in it yet. 

Finally in Israel, my first encounter in the country was not what I expected. I was halted from entering. I was moved to the waiting room and then interrogation happened.

What are you doing in Israel?
What brings you here?
Why do you want to go to Israel?
How long will you be in Israel?
When are you leaving Israel?
Do you know anyone in Israel?
Show me your flight details.
(I show important information from my phone—interrogator gets it and checks it)
Who is Idit? 
I thought you did not know anyone here?
Your grandma is here? 
I thought you were traveling alone. 
You’re missing details. 
Why did you leave those information out?

All these questions, I wondered if I was ever going to step out of Ben Gurion Airport.

It took an hour and a half before they finally released me. 

While they say that first impressions last forever, I wouldn’t let this hassle-much incident take precedence. I still believed Israel was amazing and that this trip was going to be one-of-a-kind.

And I was right. My trip to Israel was so special, the only reason for everything was God. He was moving in me and in the people around me. God was and is the best tour guide ever.

God used so many people in Israel to show me genuine kindness and real love despite being a stranger to them—not to mention, a foreigner in ther land. 





FIRST DAY—When my grandma Beth and I finally met in the airport, we prayed together in gratefulness that I was released. We then headed out to our hostel which was in Jerusalem, a long train ride away and a few bus stops.


The train ride was easy because the station was connected to the airport, the challenge was when we arrived to Jerusalem. Everything around seemed to be in Hebrew, how was I supposed to understand? Plus, I had no mobile data to figure everything out. I had to ask directions. 

I asked a few people here and there but no one really knew how to get to the hostel where I booked our first night. 

While Grandma and I were staring out into the open space, hoping for a miracle, out of the blue God answered our prayers. Suddenly a tall, young Jewish man with a black kippa on his head got off the train. Right when I was about to ask for directions, I noticed he was on a phone call so I did not bother. He however, saw we were having navigation problems, so he walked toward us.

“Do you speak English?” I asked. He was now standing in front of me.

He nodded.

“Hi. We’re new here, tourists actually and we just arrived. It's our first time here." I said sheepishly, since he was staring intently at my eyes. I sure hoped he understood what I said. I continued anyway. "We're from the Philippines--my grandma and I--and we need to get to the hostel but I was told the last train just passed us by. I don’t know how to find my way.”

He nodded again. I was really worried now. He was still staring at me. I wondered if he really understood a word I said because he hasn’t said a word at all.

“Can you help us?” I asked, looking straight back at him.

He nodded for the last time before finally answering, “I’m taking the same bus that you should be on so come with me.”

I glanced at my grandma who was listening. “Thank you,” she said gratefully. “We are hopeless.”

That wasn’t exactly what anyone should tell a stranger, but there she said it. He laughed, so he definitely understood her comment. Anyway, she must have already trusted him and maybe at this point, we really had no choice but to. I’d be lying if the movie Taken starring Liam Neeson never crossed my mind. 

Suddenly he reached his hand out, “My name’s Samuel.”

I loosened up, shaking it. “Sammy. Nice to meet you, I’m Gabe and this is my grandma, Beth.”

My grandma smiled, “Samuel, is it? Very biblical. I really feel Israel coming to life now.”

Sammy checked his wallet and handed my grandma and I two green cards which he said was access to most, if not all, the buses and trains in Israel. He said all we needed to do was load them, but the card itself was free of charge, it was his welcome gift to us. 

"Thank you so much Sammy. I really am thankful. I wouldn't know how to get around if not for your kind gesture." I beamed.

"It's my pleasure." He smiled back in his Israeli accent.

We hopped on the same bus Sammy got on. He even helped us with our luggage. He initially intended to show us which bus stop to get off at but he ended up going out of his way by walking us all the way to our hostel.

It was the cheapest decent hostel I found online, but it was also the farthest. I didn’t mind though because tomorrow was the first day of CMS 2019 and we’d soon be taken cared of at the Orient Hotel.

But it sure was a challenge getting to the hostel, Sammy had to even make calls just to help us find our place—even local Sammy was confused with the directions given. 


Inside the Damascus Gate, we walked round and round until we found the hostel. Sure the hostel was smack inside the Old City and was historically beautiful, it was also very dark and eerie. I wouldn’t know how to make it without Sammy’s help. And worse, it was late so I wasn’t able to buy a local sim for data. There wasn’t any free WiFi around as well. At that moment, my grandma and I really had no means to navigate around the city—but thank God for Sammy because he made sure we arrived safely before leaving us. God took care of us through Sammy. 

Sammy was a one-of-a-kind soul, so rare that when you encounter one, you’d appreciate all that he was. I was extremely amazed at his generosity and helpfulness. I was amazed at how God imprinted on his heart to help us. The way to the hostel was probably a 30 to 40 minute walk from the bus stop. When he helped us, I could see his genuine interest to simply just help and not ask anything in return. What was that all about? In the country I’m from, the Philippines, the people are helpful except not to extent of extremely going out of their way like this Israeli did. Hashtag, faith in humanity restored.


P.S. During the long walk, Sammy turned out to be a great storyteller and ever since, we have been good friends.

Comments