2019 Israel Day 2 (Nov 2)

SECOND DAY—Check out time was at 11 AM but my grandma and I didn't know that. We were already out the door and inside Al-Naser Restaurant when we were notified about the time.

Since the restaurant was just inside the walls of the Damascus Gate, a few steps away from the hostel, we enjoyed our meal.
















Our brunch—the very first meal we had in Israel—was at Al-Naser Restaurant. It was AHHHHH-MAZE-ZING. Hummus. Salads. The most tender chicken ever.









Right after our brunch, we hurried back to the hostel. Checking out can be a drag especially when you’ve got a lot of luggage, but it came with traveling. 

Heading out, my grandma and I got lost in the maze of the beautiful and historic walls of the Old City. 


We took pictures around us and ended up in the Arab area where a man somewhere in his late 20’s/early 30’s suddenly started chatting with me. Middle-Eastern-Small-Talk, I supposed.

It was my first time in Israel, I had no idea that this was his way of luring me into his jewelry/antique/souvenir shop. 

My grandma just waited outside, admiring the souvenirs. 

“Your shop is beautiful, Sir.” I said, looking at his beautiful jewelry collection. 

“You are more beautiful.” He suddenly compared, his eyes fixated on me. I was taken aback. I wasn’t used to blunt compliments, he wasn’t subtle at all. And although people have complimented me before, it was never in such an uncomfortable way. It was as if from this time on, he was never letting me go. “Very beautiful. I like you very much. Choose anything you want.”

I was in complete shock at how upfront and aggressive he was with how he felt and how he was extremely interested in me. But what raised my eyebrow was when he said, “Choose anything you want.”

Who in their right mind asks someone to choose anything they want in a jewelry shop? Maybe a naive little girl would fall for it but there had to be a catch, and I was not in the mood to play games, much more be trapped in it.

“Wow, that is very generous of you but I could never do that.” I simply smiled. I am also in a hurry, Sir, I have to go.”

“Please. I like you very much. You are so beautiful.” He repeated again. “Whatever you want, it’s yours.”

Suddenly a flock of customers came inside, handing him money from all the purchases they made. It was as if I brought good luck to his shop.

“One minute please. Sit down here.” The young man said, pointing to his executive-looking chair. “You are the boss, and while you’re at it, choose anything.”

I’m the boss?! What did he just say?! This is crazy! 

My grandma was now inside, her eyes wide open. I wonder how much she heard. “We have to go Gabe. We can’t be late for the Christian Media Summit.”

I nodded, “Yes. Let’s go.”

I got up and suddenly he was in front of me again, but so many other customers came in too, pulling his attention away from me once more.

“One last minute, please.” He begged again. 

I was now in a tight situation and I did not like it. I normally wouldn’t stay but I did not want to be rude, especially since he seemed like a nice young man but this was also way too much for me to handle.

I’m the worst at saying goodbye, but I reminded myself that I did not owe this young man anything, not even my mere presence. I should be free to go.

He probably saw the distress in my face and thought repeating the same thing he already told me before would appease me. “Choose whatever you want and I’ll give it to you during dinner tonight.”

This actually stressed me out more…But there it was, the catch of the lifetime… I knew there had to be a return of investment for him. 

I politely declined. “I’m sorry, I can’t.”

“But please.” He offered, bowing his head down, as if he owed my gratitude. “Let me give you a gift.”

I sighed. “If you really want to give me something, you have to be the one to choose it, whatever you want to give because I would never impose. I could never.” I continued to clarify. “And you know that a gift is from your own free will. It does not mean you get anything in return.”

“I really like you. You are feisty!” He giggled. I wasn’t sure I took this as a compliment anymore. This probably was too close to playing with fire, but what do I know? This was my first encounter with an extremely eager and aggressive man.

Saved by the bell, suddenly more and more people came in and I smiled, knowing this was my que to leave. “Business is good, huh? That’s amazing for you. I am happy for you, I really am, but I really must be one my way now. I can’t be late. I was invited by the Government Press Office of Israel. Thank you though for your generosity. Shalom!”

With that, I waved goodbye and saw his puzzled face. He wanted me to stay longer but he also had to tend to his customers. This really was not my problem anymore. I had to go.

He suddenly walked up to me one last time and handed me a small jewelry box. “Please, have this instead, at least for now. You have brought in so many customers, you are my lucky charm. And if I see you tonight, which I hope I do, I will give you something better.”
I took the box and just like that he kissed my hand. My eyes shot up again, this was just getting stranger and stranger but at least whatever this was, was about to end. 

Before I left, my grandma was able to take our picture for “memory” sake and that was when he asked for my Whatsapp number. It wasn’t the smartest idea but I gave it anyway, just for the purpose of not being rude especially after receiving a gift. 

He then ushered us to the door and it was as if a weight off our shoulders were lifted. What a day!

NEXT—





Comments